This is one of those happy accident recipes that has found itself in heavy rotation in our kitchen. It began with a solitary weekend at home while my husband was away on a scuba diving trip. All I wanted to do after weeks of traveling was to stay home in my pj's and have a Netflix marathon. It's a lightened up, protein packed version of my favorite comfort food with a healthy dose of veggies to replace most of the rice found in your standard fried rice recipes. I like mine on the spicy side but feel free to adjust the heat level to whatever strikes your fancy.
You may notice this recipe is for one serving but it can easily be doubled or quadrupled if you have a large enough wok or skillet. And although the list of ingredients may seem long, none are exotic and all are readily available at most markets.
One tip before you begin is to have everything in place before you start cooking. The pace moves quickly once your wok is hot and you'll find yourself cuddled up with a piping hot bowl of delicious rice in under 7 minutes!
Spicy Zucchini Fried Rice
- oil or non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 c shredded carrots
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1/2 c cooked rice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbs soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites beaten
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tbs cilantro
- sriracha hot sauce
- dried chili flakes
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Add carrots, zucchini, and garlic. Stir fry over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add rice, half of the green onion, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the wok or skillet. Add eggs and stir until they are soft cooked.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with cilantro, the remaining green onion, and desired amount of chili flakes and sriracha.
This recipe is very forgiving so don't feel conformed to follow it exactly. You can easily add more veggies or a protein to suit your taste. The key is having a very hot wok and all your ingredients ready before you begin. Enjoy!