One of the best ways I've learned to eat more salads during the week, is to prep many of the ingredients ahead of time. It's truly been a game changer in my ability to create seriously delicious salads...the kind that everyone wants to eat! Usually on Sunday afternoons, I'll start washing and chopping away, and roast several sheet pans of veggies. I also cook a big batch of grains, like brown rice, quinoa or bulgar to add to our salads or for quick side dishes during the week.
This Harvest Salad is one of those mid-week meals that comes together quickly and tastes absolutely amazing! And the vinaigrette? You'll be wanting to pour it on everything...roasted root vegetables, couscous, grilled chicken or fish. It's sooo good!
As with most salads, the list of ingredients can be swapped with what you have on hand, leftover rotisserie chicken or other roasted vegetables will mix well together. Don't have mixed greens? Try spinach or kale. Just make sure to include a hearty grain like bulgar or barley and the best part...the roasted sweet potato and citrus vinaigrette!
Harvest Salad with Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette
- [b]For the salad[/b]:
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 ripe pear, core removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grilled or roasted chicken breast, cut in 1" cubes
- 3/4 c red seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 cup cooked bulgar, or other grain such as barley, quinoa, wild rice
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- [b]For the dressing[/b]:
- 5 Tablespoons Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (available at Trader Joe's or substitue 3 Tbs Champagne Vinegar and 2 Tbs fresh orange juice.)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or grapeseed oil
- 1 Tablespoon fig jam
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Peel sweet potato and cut into 1/2" cubes. Place on sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool.
- Wash and dry greens and chop into bite size pieces. Arrange in serving bowl and top with sweet potato, pear slices, bulgar, chicken, feta cheese and grapes.
- Add all salad dressing ingredients to a small mason jar and shake vigorously until combined.
- Pour over salad, coating all ingredients. Sprinkle toasted pumpkins seeds on top.