Grove House | Designing the Studio Lounge

Heather Bullard | Studio Design

Finally, I’ve begun to tackle a design project that, quite literally, looms over me every single day – finishing my studio space at Grove House. More specifically, the lounge seating area. You know how the saying goes – the cobbler’s children have no shoes. That’s me, in a nutshell. The “busy” excuse has been used frequently in an effort to ease my slight guilt over not getting my act together with the project. But enough already, the time has come to mark this one off my to-do list. Step One – Share my design plan with the internet.

Heather Bullard | Studio Design

As you know, neutrals are my jam, so the color palette will encompass various shades of whites and grays, earthy tones like burnt sienna and sand, with touches of black to ground the space. The color inspiration was found in two handmade pieces of pottery I recently found while antiquing. I think they make a dreamy combo.

The seating area is flooded with natural light. There are four corner windows and a set of French doors, making it the sunniest spot in the studio. It’s also the perfect place to curl up during those afternoon slumps when a coffee break and book are on the agenda. I purchased a simple white slipcovered sofa bed (handy for guests) and a large comfy rattan chair from IKEA and have plans of adding a natural jute rug, modern black marble coffee table, lots of soft textile layering, and of course, antiques. Here’s the design plan to help me create my vision.

Heather Bullard | Studio Design

1 Tassel Pillow | 2 Natural Throw | 3 Blush Throw | 4 Sienna Pillow | 5 Graphic Lumbar | 6 White Sofa | 7 Kilim Pillow | 8 Lamp | 9 Brass Vase | 10 Tulip Table | 11 Coffee Table | 12 Rattan Chair | 13 Stripe Pillow | 14 Jute Rug15 White Vessel | 16 Planter

I hope to have this project finished in the next few weeks! Everything is on it’s way to the studio and I’m excited to pull it all together and share it with you. When I’m not on location, I’m in the studio every day and it will feel nice to have a finished space that’s inspiring and relaxing to work and be creative in. And hey, thanks for being my involuntary accountability partners! I probably wouldn’t have done this without you. Or in the very least, would certainly have found another excuse to put it off a bit longer.

Between posts you can find me on Instagram sharing highlights of daily life.
If you’d like new posts delivered to your inbox you may subscribe here.

Previous Post

• Katey

I love how you used a small pottery piece to design around. I like that instead of starting with something big. I recently helped my mom updo her den while Deddy was in Minsk. It was so exciting waiting for everything to arrive so that we could get started! Turned out beautifully. You’ll enjoy your new space too!

March 14, 2018 at 6:36 am Reply

Inspiration comes in all forms – aside from today’s go-to, Pinterest! What a nice surprise and how fun to work together with your mom. Projects like that are the best! 🙂

March 14, 2018 at 8:17 am Reply
  • Susan Hirst

It’s going to look amazing! I had two of those Ikea chairs but unfortunately had to return them. They just weren’t working for what I needed, but they are so awesome! I hope to find a spot for them somewhere someday. I can’t wait to see your lounge all put together.

March 14, 2018 at 7:40 am Reply

Yeah, Ikea furniture can be a gamble. Since the studio doesn’t get a ton of foot traffic or heavy use, I thought I’d take the risk. I love the look of the chair…we shall see! 😉

March 14, 2018 at 8:20 am Reply
  • leslie

Love your ideas Heather! I’m on a hunt for a white, slip cover sectional for my great room space. I saw the Rachel Ashwell sectional in L.A. last summer and of course it’s gorgeous and supper comfortable. Pottery Barn has one that’s a little bit less that is also nice. I’ve looked at Wayfair, IKEA, and Overstock and I’m worried the quality won’t be very good.. so I’m undecided. What do you think about the quality for these different shopping sources and is it worth it to save up for the more expensive one?

Thank you for your input!

March 14, 2018 at 8:23 am Reply

Thanks, Leslie!
      If you’re sofa will get frequent use (meaning everyday) I would recommend investing in quality and comfort. Cisco Home makes gorgeous sofas but they are on the higher end.
      We have three sofas in our home – Restoration Hardware, Mathis Brothers, and the studio one from Ikea, all with various price points based on where/how we use them.
      I’ve never purchased one online – must do the sit test – but know others have bought from Article, West Elm, and PB and loved them. I hope you find the perfect one for your home!

March 14, 2018 at 8:42 am Reply
  • Catherine

I love that you have included two throws in your inspiration board! Curling up with a good book in that sunny space would induce me to nap, so it would be important to have a throw handy!

March 14, 2018 at 11:04 am Reply

I’m always cold so there’s no such thing as too many blankets and throws! 😉 And ahhhh, I didn’t even think about naps. Great idea!

March 14, 2018 at 2:28 pm Reply
  • Camille Overmeer

Curious about what Farrow & Ball colours are going to be used on walls?

March 14, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reply

I was toying with the idea of painting a few walls a charcoal or putty color but have decided to hold off until I get everything in place. I still adore white walls, especially in a studio where there’s lots of photography happening. Now, my library is another story – I’m thinking deep, dark, cozy!

March 14, 2018 at 3:05 pm Reply
  • Debbie

How fun, Heather! What a beautiful canvas you have to work with! I love the pieces you’ve selected ~ the rattan chair from IKEA is phenomenal! Looking forward to the “after” pics!

March 15, 2018 at 9:34 am Reply

Isn’t it a great chair? Ikea always seems to have fresh designs at affordable prices. The only drawback is having to assemble anything! I try to steer clear of those items. haha!

March 15, 2018 at 10:42 am Reply