Guest Bath Progress

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

If there were awards for slowest decorator on the planet, surely I would be a top contender. Often times I stand in awe of those who seem to finish rooms at break neck speed. How do they do it? I mean they just moved into a new place and wham…rooms are pulled together and posted on IG lickity split.

Now, I can produce styling results for magazines at a pretty steady pace (mainly because there is a deadline) but choosing items for my own home takes time. Apparently lots of it in my case. It’s not that I’m not looking for items that make a house a home, it’s that I’m looking for vintage, antique, or one of a kind items. And there in lies the rub. Finding antique furniture that fits a certain height, width, depth, as well as having simple lines and timeless style isn’t something I’m going to find easily. And I’ve learned to let the process be what it is – an investment in patience.

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

When we built our house I made the conscious decision to not add built-in cabinets in the bathrooms. Instead I wanted to use antique pieces for our storage needs. I feel they add an element of surprise and incredible character to small spaces. This tall glass and wood cabinet was the perfect piece for our main guest bath. When we brought it home I decided to have mirrors cut for the back in order to bounce light from the nearby window. This helped the piece from appearing too heavy and dark and the added light showcases my apothecary collection beautifully.

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

The lower shelves allow me to keep stacks of fresh towels and extra soap and a mix of found shells or elements from nature. I often pick up Turkish towels on my travels or while I’m out prop shopping but my favorite online source isย Indigo Traders. The gray sculpted towels on the right (Anthro knockoffs) have sadly been discontinued but these,ย these and these are very similar and all are on sale!

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

The antique baroque French mirror came with us from our old house. I’ve had it for years and was glad it felt at home in this space. I was afraid it would be a little fussy but think it provides such beautiful contrast. I especially love the patina of the well worn silver backing. The burl wood stool below was a lucky HomeGoods find.

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

Heather Bullard | Guest Bath

Here’s what I’m still on the hunt for in order to mark this room off the list:

• Some sort of gauzy linen shade for the window.
  • A gorgeous mirror for over the sink. The current one is just a place holder.
  • Small wall cabinet in the water closet (not pictured) for toilet paper and such.
  • Possibly a longer antique runner.
  • Finish the concrete baseboard behind the tub. You can see where it stops in the first photo.

How about you? Can you pull a room together in no time or are you more like me…turtle pace.

Between posts you can find me on Instagram sharing highlights of daily life.
If you’d like new posts delivered to your inbox you may subscribe here.

• Jamala

This is one gorgeous bathroom!! Everything is meticulously displayed and perfectly designed. I loved the French mirror and especially the sink .., all kinds of wow factor..and not to mention the cabinet!!! Fan-freaking-tastic

March 1, 2017 at 5:13 am Reply

Thanks so much, Jamala! ๐Ÿ™‚ Finding the right cabinet was worth the wait. Now if only I could come across the pieces I need for other empty rooms! Thanks for stopping by today!

March 1, 2017 at 6:49 am Reply
  • Cindy Gardner

This has to be one of my all time favorite bathrooms. I really love how you have combined vintage pieces with modern fixtures, the perfect blend! I take a long time decorating my own home also, probably because I like to wait for vintage or one of a kind pieces too.

March 1, 2017 at 6:53 am Reply

Thanks, Cindy. Happy to hear I’m not alone in my decorating speed! Aren’t you amazed how others can accomplish it in what seems like a weekend? They must know where all the secret sources are! ๐Ÿ˜‰

March 1, 2017 at 7:25 am Reply
  • katey

Your patience is paying off! It’s a gorgeous bathroom. I love that cabinet especially. Just made for that spot!

March 1, 2017 at 7:08 am Reply

Was thrilled to find the right size cabinet! Narrow, tall, with plenty of storage and display. One of my favorite finds!

March 1, 2017 at 7:26 am Reply
  • Laura McDaniel

Agree with Jamala. LOVE the bathroom and I love how the wood details have that roughed-weathered look against the clean lines of the tile & porcelain finishes. Blissful!

March 1, 2017 at 7:54 am Reply

I always joke with my friends that my house is neutral…with a side of texture. ๐Ÿ˜‰

March 1, 2017 at 8:00 am Reply
  • kelly elarth

I just LOVE your style! Every time I see that you have posted a new blog post I get so excited! LOVE the bathroom!

March 1, 2017 at 8:51 am Reply

Thanks so much, Kelly! I’m making an effort to try and post more this year (compared to 10 posts in total for 2016!). IG almost killed the blog but I love the deeper connections and conversations we seem to have in this little space. Truly appreciate you taking the time to stop by! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 1, 2017 at 8:57 am Reply
  • Shannon Carbajal

Your styling is my absolute favorite ever!!! I love seeing your home and every detail you add. So gorgeous Heather!

March 1, 2017 at 9:35 am Reply

Aw, thanks so much Shannon! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 1, 2017 at 9:51 am Reply
  • Tina

I am also slow at finding the right piece from Antique Stores. Second guessing price and scale can paralyze me! Do you mind sharing your source for your vanity? The scale looks just right for my guest bath ๐Ÿ™‚

March 1, 2017 at 10:56 am Reply
  • erin@whalingcitycottage

Well that’s just gorgeous. I love the texture. And the contrast between the marble console and the antique cabinet. So pretty. I’m also on the slow decorating train. Partly for financial reasons – how do people have thousands of dollars to throw at rooms? – but mostly from a treasure hunting standpoint. Finding the good stuff takes time but it’s worth it.

March 1, 2017 at 12:08 pm Reply

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve learned to embrace the fact that the hunt takes time. No big rush over here! ๐Ÿ˜‰

March 1, 2017 at 12:51 pm Reply
  • Diana Elizabeth

I’m with you – it takes time to create the space and not rush into it. Sometimes though we need the sink and tub done ASAP so those decisions have be quicker but I am all about the small details and find them at antique stores or while traveling (and just replace the immediate purchases for functionality). We live in a 1952 home in Central Phoenix and so curating items to fit the style is important but I’m always swapping items in and out, it drives the husband mad! (http://dianaelizabethblog.com/our-home-gallery/). I have a friend who is moving to a new home and her husband wants the entire home decorated ASAP before they move in and I thought, I could never do that! It takes time! ๐Ÿ™‚ Your guest bath looks absolutely lovely, love your decorating journey.

March 1, 2017 at 12:16 pm Reply

Your home gallery is so pretty! I love the fun wallpaper in your closet and PINK accents in the garage! Nice surprises. And I’m with you on making a house a home. It’s like home grown vegetables, nurturing friendships, or raising great kids – all are investments in time and patience. As are most worthwhile things in life!

March 1, 2017 at 12:56 pm Reply
  • Brooke

Heather your guest bathroom is a beautifully curated space. The mix of the cool whites and grays with the natural warmth of the woods in the cabinet, mirror, and stool create such a welcoming layered feeling.

March 1, 2017 at 8:07 pm Reply

Thank you, Brooke. ๐Ÿ™‚

March 2, 2017 at 7:41 am Reply
  • Jeannine

I absolutely do things at turtle pace and also am amazed with the people who have it all done so quickly! As I adore your style, it’s good to know you’re the same way. Makes me feel like maybe I’m not such a slacker. ????

March 1, 2017 at 8:45 pm Reply

We’re in this together Jeannine! Let’s remember…the turtle wins the race! ๐Ÿ˜‰

March 2, 2017 at 7:41 am Reply

Heather,
    I take inspiration from your approach. I tend to rush things due to my issues with patience (I have little :-)) . Your bathroom is beautiful and I agree, unexpected pieces of furniture in a small space always makes the room so much better.
    xo,

March 2, 2017 at 5:45 am Reply

It’s taken me years to embrace being patient. Especially being in an industry that seemingly creates beautiful images of homes in an instant.

March 2, 2017 at 7:43 am Reply
  • for the love of a house

it is FABULOUS Heather!!! Love it all! xxojoan

March 2, 2017 at 6:07 am Reply

Thanks, Joan! I hope you and your furry friends have been enjoying winter. Spring is on her way!

March 2, 2017 at 7:44 am Reply
  • Mary (Cottage B at Home ~ Vintage Country Living)

Fantastic makeover, Heather! Absolutely love the antique wood cabinet (great idea to back with mirror!), and the cool & airy marble vanity. Wonderful contrast between textures and colors…cool and warm, light and dark. Love the ceramic canister with the gold Swiss cross on it…was that a vintage find or recent purchase? Would be a great addition to so many rooms in the home but especially the bathroom. Great find at HomeGoods on the wood burl stool, too!! Awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

March 2, 2017 at 6:11 am Reply

Thank you, Mary! The Swiss cross jar was an etsy find. But in all honesty I wouldn’t recommend the seller.
      But isn’t it a great day when you find something you can’t live without at HomeGoods? Always worth popping in when I have time. ๐Ÿ™‚

March 2, 2017 at 7:50 am Reply
  • Lisa

Turtle pace over here at my home too. I can’t see it any other way. It takes time and money to find all the right pieces. When I’m unsure of how to decorate a space I let time and inspiration be my guidance. Eventually the answer will come. Heather I have a question for you. I adore your photos. It feels like I can reach in and grab the items in them. I’m looking to buy a camera to take pictures of my home and I can’t decide between the Canon 5D MIII and the Sony A7 which seems to be all the rage right now. I noticed you have links to both on your shop page. Could you make a recommendation? Which one do you use mostly for your gorgeous pics? Thnx!

March 2, 2017 at 12:58 pm Reply

It depends on what you want to photograph (and budget). I mainly use the 5D leaving the smaller Sony for travel or outings. If you’re looking to shoot interiors, people, landscapes I would recommend the 5D. It’s full frame and has a large variety of lens options to choose from. Hope this helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 2, 2017 at 1:11 pm Reply
      • Lisa

Thanks Heather! It does help. I made the mistake of buying a cropped camera recently (Canon Rebel T6i) and it makes the interior of my home look so squished. ๐Ÿ™ I didn’t feel I could afford the Canon 5d (still can’t, especially now that I wasted my money on the other Canon) but it simply doesn’t work. Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated!

March 2, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reply

The Canon 6D is also full frame and the price is much lower than the 5D. You should visit bhphotovideo.com They are extremely helpful and have great prices. ๐Ÿ™‚

March 2, 2017 at 4:35 pm Reply
          • Lisa

Ooooh, didn\’t even consider that. Thank you! Putting the T6i on kijiji today. Hate taking the loss but I\’m going to just do it. If anyone lives in the GTA region of Canada and is interested in a good starter DSLR let me know. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, I binged on your site last night Heather. I love your home and was wondering if you could post more on it – for instance paint colours used, layout plan, more pics!!, etc.

March 3, 2017 at 9:57 am
  • Carol Smithback

Gorgeous bathroom! Who wouldn’t love soaking in that tub? How clever of you to use the magnolia blossoms!

March 4, 2017 at 7:45 pm Reply

It makes me so happy when they start blooming. There’s a historic street in our city lined with dozens and dozens for miles!

March 5, 2017 at 2:07 pm Reply
  • Jodi Horton

Heather – Is there a post where you share the source of the marble top vanity used here in your guest bath? I’ve tried searching your site and can’t seem to find it. Its stunning, I love it and am holding up my bathroom reno due to the fact that I can’t find a vanity I love. Thanks for your time.
    Jodi Horton

March 5, 2017 at 2:51 pm Reply

Hi Jodi! The sink is from PB. Here’s a link for you: http://bit.ly/2muxESl Good luck with your reno!

March 6, 2017 at 7:53 am Reply
  • Shantal

You’re amazing! Everything is so beautiful, yet simple. Would you mind sharing where you get the hooks from?

March 6, 2017 at 8:13 am Reply

Aw, thank you. Both hooks were purchased at a brocante in France. I prefer vintage or antique to new whenever possible. You could try Etsy or Ebay both have sellers from around the globe!

March 6, 2017 at 8:20 am Reply
  • Crystal

Hi Heather! I am a big fan of your aesthetic!!! You mentioned you are looking for some kind of a gauzy material for your window. I don’t know if this will go with the whole vibe of your home but in the Philippines, we use a very special material made from pineapple fiber that is usually used to make the traditional Filipino men’s formal wear called Barong. I have actually never seen it used in any other way other than that but I don’t see why it couldn’t be used as a window covering too, after it is lined with linen or something similar. Since you seem to appreciate exotic fabrics and materials, I thought I would let you know about this.

March 6, 2017 at 3:15 pm Reply

Thanks, Crystal! I’ve seen Barong fabric used in clothing although I didn’t know the correct name or that it was made from pineapple fibers. Thank you for sharing!

March 7, 2017 at 8:38 am Reply
  • Miranda

Love the idea of using mirrors for the back of that old cabinet. What a beautiful bathroom.

March 7, 2017 at 2:23 pm Reply

Thank you, Miranda. ๐Ÿ™‚

March 11, 2017 at 10:14 am Reply
  • Wendy A

What a lovely bath. If it makes you feel any better, it took me three years to find the exact mahogany buffet I wanted to use as a dual sink vanity. Found it (finally) for a bargain price last year but it’s currently stored in the garage until we can get the master bath redone with new tile and fixtures this summer (too cold where we are to do any construction work in the winter!). I can’t wait for it to be done but I have learned patience …

March 8, 2017 at 5:26 am Reply

I can imagine it will be a gorgeous vanity. And it certainly makes for a better story than “I found it at a big box store”. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hoping warmer weather will come your way soon!

March 11, 2017 at 10:17 am Reply
  • Denise

Your bathroom is just beautiful. I was having this same conversation with a friend recently! We’ve been in our house for a year and I still don’t have anything even close to done! But a home is always more interesting and a better story of those who live there when it’s done over time, right? ๐Ÿ™‚ love all your weathered wood pieces!

March 11, 2017 at 9:04 pm Reply

Thank you, Denise. It’s comforting knowing we’re not the only ones! ๐Ÿ˜‰

March 14, 2017 at 10:02 am Reply
  • Debe L

I love IG but if you don’t check it all the time, you can miss posts. At least with your blog, your new ones show up in my Feedly and it is there till I see it! I agree with earlier remark, I get excited when I see you have a new post. Here is to beating your 2016 efforts!!

March 12, 2017 at 12:35 pm Reply

Thanks for the encouragement Debe! You give me hope for 2017! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 14, 2017 at 10:04 am Reply
  • gabrielle mader

oh i’m Mertle the Turtle…I bought my pull pins 3 years ago in anticipation of my redo in the kitchen, we did pick up the antique stove a little over a year ago but it does take time if you want unique and antique. your style is gorgeous Heather…beautiful bathroom.

March 14, 2017 at 9:52 am Reply

I once stored an antique marble basin for maybe 5 years before I ever found a use for it. One day your stove will be the star of your kitchen! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 14, 2017 at 10:05 am Reply
  • Gina

I would be so pleased to use this guest bath. The natural combination of wood and metal is simply perfect.

March 18, 2017 at 8:05 pm Reply
  • Janet Belbeck

Love this space…Your work is always great inspiration! I definitely take my time when decorating my own space. Glad to hear someone else out there is the same way.

April 7, 2017 at 8:09 am Reply
  • Lee

Love the space! Love all your pics! Would you mind sharing where the guest bath lights came from? Again, all your pics are amazing!

April 21, 2017 at 11:04 am Reply
  • Autumn

Luv the bathroom! What a great mix. Target has some great white curtain options in their Simply Shabby Chic line that might work for your window. I have a similar window situation and recently bought a curtain from the line with a beautiful scalloped edge. It was too long, but I cut the top off and made a new pocket to make it fit my window. Also, where do you buy your square block soaps? GREAT WORK!

May 7, 2017 at 7:15 pm Reply
  • Bonny

Dear Heather, Can you please tell me where your tile is from and the size?
    I have the same sink from Pottery Barn but have been struggling with a renovation for a long time
    I think your bathroom looks awesome. Love all of it.

June 14, 2017 at 4:18 am Reply
  • Jennifer

Heather,
    I love your style! In some ways your writing and pictures remind me of Ina Garten. I consider you up there with her presentation!
    ๐Ÿ™‚