Styling Work | Modern Farmhouse

Heather Bullard | Styling Work Country Living

Thought it might be nice for another installment of recent styling work. The last six months has seen a fairly intense work schedule and I missed sharing many of the holiday projects that hit newsstands during the season. So we’ll just start fresh this year with this modern Alabama farmhouse for March issue of Country Living.

First, we need to talk about this little coffee alcove! Isn’t it a genius use of a small space? I would be happy to start my morning here every single day. I kept the styling to a minimum since it was pretty fantastic on it’s own. Only adding in the antique rug, fresh florals, and a plate of tiny apple crullers. The homeowners, Paige and Blair Thornton usually keep a Keurig in here but for the sake of editorial beauty I swapped it out for a French press, added a basket tray for warmth and texture and the coffee accoutrements. I love how the black flush mount fixtures add a graphic pop to the space and seriously covet the knitted stool Paige found at Tuesday Morning!

Heather Bullard | Styling Work Country Living

Paige owns a beautiful shop The French Basket and has an impressive array of tabletop items for her bright white kitchen. For the styling I pulled items from her collections, reworked the open shelving a bit and added fresh greenery and produce. I also moved the pedestal filled with oils from another area in the kitchen to showcase it next to the range and filled it with a few colorful bottles of vinegar & oils, fresh herbs and bowl of garlic.

Heather Bullard | Styling Work Country Living

In the living room we rearranged the furniture to open up the view to the fireplace and give visual impact. Paige loved the change and actually kept it this way afterwards. Sometimes it’s nice to switch things up a bit! I also reworked the open shelving adding layers of artwork, books, and decorative objects. I pulled in the wood stump and hexagon table from other rooms to use as end tables for the sofas. Of note, this room was styled with practically everything from the homeowners own decor.
And did you happen to notice the cameo appearance of their horse Idgy? Let’s just say getting him in that position was a team effort including apple bribes and someone laying on the floor under the window!

Heather Bullard | Styling Work Country Living

I always enjoy styling a simple vignette. When doing so, the objects need to stand out individually and I feel this is a perfect example. The gorgeous landscape by photographer David Hillegas sets a dramatic tone and mood and the antler shed and branches enhance the natural feel to the space. Proving that indeed, less is more.

I hope you enjoy these behind-the-scenes posts! You can see more in the March issue of Country Living or visit their website for additional images and interview from the story.
Photography by Brian Woodcock | Styling by Heather Bullard | Homeowner Paige & Blair Thornton

Between posts you can find me on Instagram sharing highlights of daily life. And if you’d like new posts delivered to your inbox you may subscribe here!

• Monica

Beautiful work as always. Thanks for the share.

February 8, 2017 at 8:15 am Reply

Thank you, Monica! 🙂

February 8, 2017 at 8:16 am Reply
  • ANAJÁ SCHMITZ

Amei essa decoração. Tudo lindo e inspirador.
    Tenha uma ótima semana.

February 8, 2017 at 8:42 am Reply

Thanks, Anaja! I think the Thornton’s home is very inspiring as well. Appreciate you stopping by the blog today!

February 8, 2017 at 8:52 am Reply
  • Brooke Christen

I love that stool too! I have one too many stools, but I keep buying more. Love the entry piece and the big jug with the branch. So gorgeous.

February 8, 2017 at 9:21 am Reply

I never shop Tuesday Morning and now I’m kicking myself! Really love that stool too!

February 8, 2017 at 10:41 am Reply
  • Kim @ Irishman Acres

Let’s be best friends and you come to my house and hang out. I promise I won’t make you rearrange all my things! Well, maybe just a few ????
    Kim

February 8, 2017 at 10:21 am Reply

Haha! 😉 I can remember rearranging my mom’s shelves and bookcases when I was a little girl. I think it’s in my dna!

February 8, 2017 at 10:24 am Reply
  • Shauna

Beautiful! Love that coffee alcove!

February 8, 2017 at 12:02 pm Reply

It’s so welcoming and such a clever use of a small space!

February 8, 2017 at 1:51 pm Reply
  • Our French Oasis

Beautiful home. It took me a while to work out what a French Press was and then it clicked, a cafetiere, which is actually a French word that us British have also adopted and made a part of our English language, but I have never ever heard it called a French Press before, but it is French and it has a plunger that pushes down the coffee so it sort of makes sense! I love that I learn something new every day, the wonders of the internet and blogging, thank you.

February 8, 2017 at 1:51 pm Reply

Cafetière or French Press…it makes delicious coffee! I like using mine on the weekend. Sets a nice slower pace and feels more relaxing.

February 8, 2017 at 2:32 pm Reply
  • Marsha Kern

I loved this article when I got my new issue of Country Living, should of known it had the Heather Ballard touch!!

February 8, 2017 at 1:54 pm Reply

Aw, thanks! Hope you enjoyed the March issue!

February 8, 2017 at 2:33 pm Reply
  • laura janning

your work is always so amazing!

February 8, 2017 at 2:05 pm Reply

Having the opportunity to style gorgeous homes makes my work easy. Feel fortunate to be able to do what I do. Thanks for stopping by today! 🙂

February 8, 2017 at 2:34 pm Reply

Heather,
    What a great house. You always inspire me with your creativity.
    xo,

February 8, 2017 at 3:37 pm Reply

Thanks, Karen! I felt in my element styling the Thorntons home. Loved their style!

February 9, 2017 at 7:33 am Reply
  • sandy Meise

I knew it was your work before I saw your name also!! Loved it!

it was you before seeing your name also!!! Loved it!

February 8, 2017 at 4:52 pm Reply

Why thanks Sandy! 🙂

February 9, 2017 at 7:34 am Reply
  • Paige Thornton

Sweet Heather, Wow…What an honor and a thrill to have our home in Country Living. You guy’s made it look amazing. We have thoroughly enjoyed our new arrangement in the Living Room, much cozier! It has been fun seeing it through the eyes of such talented and creative artist’s! Our coffee alcove has never looked more inviting. I am going to master the French Press in the near future. Thank you for kind words regarding our home and my shop . We loved every detail in each space!!!! It was such a pleasure to see you at work in your element. You kept it real and for that, we are truly appreciative. You are such a lovely person on every level. Zippy and Idgy are wondering where all the extra apples and carrots have disappeared to. If the viewers only knew the enticing that goes along with the “perfect” animal shot. Haha…Emmie misses you as well and her extra little love-treats. It was a true gift! My new sweet friend!! xoxo’s Paige

February 8, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reply

Your family made our team feel right at home and we loved every minute of it! Thank you for having us and letting me spin things around a bit. Your collections and style are fab and it made my job easy!
      Say hello to Beth my stellar assistant on this one! Hope she’s enjoying her new place! 🙂

February 9, 2017 at 7:36 am Reply
    • Amanda Taylor

I am getting ready to build a house and have been searching and searching for the “perfect house.” When I saw the photo of your farmhouse, my jaw dropped and I said, “That’s it!” I have not been able to find a plan like this. Could you point me in the right direction?

April 5, 2017 at 2:46 pm Reply

Hi Amanda,
        This isn’t my home but one I styled for Country Living. It was a remodel so I’m not sure there are plans available. You can check with Paige from The French Basket (link above in post) and see if she can help since it’s her place.
        PS. Southern Living has some beautiful house plans. You may want to Google those?

April 5, 2017 at 3:15 pm Reply
  • Jalene

I like this take on modern farmhouse. We just finished a modern farmhouse mudroom in our home. I’d love to know what you think!! http://www.ourcorneroftheworldblog.com/the-official-mudroom-reveal/

February 8, 2017 at 7:50 pm Reply

Gorgeous mudroom! Love the graphic pop of granite/black and white! Beautiful space! 🙂

February 9, 2017 at 7:37 am Reply
      • Jalene

Thank you for checking it out!!

February 9, 2017 at 10:31 am Reply
  • Jane

Finally…some ideas that really move me. I’m looking for simplicity and “using objects that stand out individually” really nailed it for me!

Thanks!

Jane

February 8, 2017 at 8:11 pm Reply

So glad you found a take away from this! When less is more…the less needs to be MORE. 😉

February 9, 2017 at 7:38 am Reply
  • Amy C

You have such a gift for creating a beautiful, realistic and livable space. Love seeing the behind the scenes of these shoots and how/what you changed. Thanks for sharing.

February 9, 2017 at 7:55 am Reply

Thank you, Amy. I think there is a misconception that stylists change everything (which can sometimes be true!) but in most cases it’s small changes/swaps to make the home as lovely as possible for print. 🙂

February 9, 2017 at 8:28 am Reply