Scenes from Grove House

Heather Bullard | Kitchen Copyright

I thought it might be nice to break up my travel posts with more current daily life happenings. Going through thousands of vacation photos can seem like a mind numbing vortex and it’s feeling a bit overwhelming to try and play catch up. So let’s just jump back and forth, shall we?

Have I mentioned that we have a rescue pup named Liberty? She’s a Bochi – half Boston Terrier, half Chihuahua. She’s the result of a botched breeding attempt by the Boston Terriers owner. They couldn’t sell the puppies as pure bred Bostons and had plans to take her and her sister to the pound. My husband drove 3 hours to rescue both. Hence the name Liberty – freedom from the shelter! Her sister, Henrietta lives with our daughter and now they have play dates.

She’s a quirky dog that happens to love fruit and veggies and is always under foot when the smoothie king has the blender whirring. He makes big batches of them every day or two and lines up a row of mason jars in the fridge for quick grab and go meals. There are zero recipes. And the same smoothie is never repeated. He doesn’t even keep track of the ingredients. Just throws stuff in. I think this one had carrot juice, pomegranate juice, bananas, strawberries, apricots, apples, spinach, blueberries, cucumber, and ground flax seed. See what I mean?

Heather Bullard | Copyright

This weekend was the Long Beach Antique Market and I somehow convinced him it was a good idea to go look for furniture. On Fathers Day. In the extreme heat. Gosh I love him. We left the house around 5:30 to try and finish before the high temps became unbearable. I had big plans of taking photos but only took one – then promptly put my camera away. So yeah.

Heather Bullard | Copyright

We didn’t find any furniture but he did buy an antique fan made in the 40’s. It runs like a dream. So smooth and quiet. And heavy! All the new fans I’ve bought over the years have ended up hissing and screaming while they spin or end up puttering out. Goes to say; they don’t make them like they used to.

Heather Bullard | Copyright

I planted a Cherokee Purple tomato plant because a summer without homegrown tomatoes is a crying shame. I’m watering it on the daily hoping it will survive the heat. Fingers crossed. If you see me at the farmers market buying armloads of heirlooms – you know what happened.

Heather Bullard | Copyright

Oh, and two of my nieces are on high school break so I asked them if they’d like to intern with me this summer. I’m sure they have more exciting things to do like lay around the pool, spend endless hours on Snapchat or sleep in. But both said yes…I think it was the “paid” internship that hooked them. We’re going to alternate days to keep things even and I’m looking forward to having the company in the studio. That way I won’t have to continue practicing hand modeling with my self timer or remote shutter. Even looking at this photo makes me laugh!

Heather Bullard | Copyright

The first one starts tomorrow morning and we have plans to tackle my overflowing filing cabinets. In case you’re wondering how exciting it is to work with me.

Thanks for popping by today! Stay cool my friends!

• Sue W.

Hot here in Florida too! Love the snippets from your home life.

June 21, 2016 at 2:16 am Reply

Summer has definitely arrived! Hope you are keeping cool in Florida!

June 21, 2016 at 6:05 am Reply
  • Shannon Carbajal

it is unbearable here in CA but I can’t complain because it makes for perfect beach weather right 😉
    I’m sure your neices are not the only ones that would be excited to intern for you even if it made for cleaning and organizing just wandering around your home would be worth it for me!

June 21, 2016 at 6:54 am Reply

I had to turn our A/C on for the first time yesterday…ridiculously hot!! The beach sounds like a good idea right about now.

Can’t wait to hang out with those girls…they’re both hilarious and fun to be around! Who knows how much work we’ll get done. 😉

June 21, 2016 at 7:23 am Reply
  • Rhonda

It is so hot here in the Phoenix but I know when the vintage shows call you, they call you.

Lovely post and I so enjoy your IG account!!1

June 21, 2016 at 8:51 am Reply

I heard it was going to be 123 in PHX! Hope you’re eating lots of popsicles and staying indoors! 🙂

June 21, 2016 at 9:38 am Reply
  • Carol smithback

What a precious time for you and your nieces Enjoy!

June 21, 2016 at 10:18 am Reply

She brought her hover board and has been riding it all over the studio and house! One advantage of concrete floors! haha!

June 21, 2016 at 10:50 am Reply

Heather,
    It’s fun to hear what you’re up to besides the fabulous trip photos I’ve been following on IG. I love the rescue story, we have 2 rescue dogs ourselves. I always feel like they know they were rescued and love us all the more.
    Stay cool, it’s supposed to be cooling a bit here in SoCal.
    xo,
    karen

June 21, 2016 at 10:40 am Reply

Love, love, love rescue dogs!! So happy to hear you have two!
      Today seems a bit cooler and it was overcast this morning. Any relief is a good thing, right?

June 21, 2016 at 10:52 am Reply
  • annette f. wood

It is always a treat to catch a glimpse of your lovely home.And,. the rescue dog,oh my! My daughter had a cat that loved fava beans.

June 21, 2016 at 11:29 am Reply

Fava beans? Pets are so weird! That’s what makes them all the more entertaining!

June 21, 2016 at 12:10 pm Reply
  • lissa

fun post! 🙂 I love everything you do and have already called my husband to buy mason jars, that’s genius! we make them daily and it would be so great to just line the fridge! thanks for the tip!

June 21, 2016 at 12:37 pm Reply

I recommend buying the white plastic lids. They don’t rust like the metal ones, can be run in the dishwasher and keep a tight seal. Enjoy your smoothies! 🙂

June 21, 2016 at 12:59 pm Reply
  • elaine

what a fun post! love reading about lIberty and her rescue! good guy for sure. and that fan I want one!

your kitchen rocks 😉

June 23, 2016 at 11:35 am Reply

Thanks Elaine! He surprised me with her while I was away on location. I’ve also come home to 22 newly rescued chickens. haha! 🙂

June 23, 2016 at 4:36 pm Reply
  • Amanda Marshall

Heather,
    Please keep these posts up! Love reading what you’re up to – you’re an inspiration even when you’re not trying to be! 🙂

June 24, 2016 at 10:13 am Reply

It was fun to do an “old school” post. Seems so many blogs these days are advertisements with links to buy all the things and it makes me miss the wonder years of blogging. Of course, I do love to know where to get a great pair of sandals and a good book…so there’s that on the positive side! 🙂

June 24, 2016 at 10:52 am Reply
  • montanahappy.com

Love the pictures of the kitchen. But…that leather chair I love…

July 3, 2016 at 12:30 pm Reply
  • Deidre Clarke

Please, please, be extra cautious around the old fan. I almost sliced my thumb off in one requiring a late night trip to the ER to have it sewn up. After that I got rid of all the old fans and bought really nice vintage-style fans from RH.

July 16, 2016 at 11:39 am Reply
  • Lindsey

Hi Heather,
    Your home is gorgeous! Can you tell me what your kitchen countertops are? Thanks so much! I look forward to your posts.

September 3, 2016 at 7:13 pm Reply

Thanks, Lindsey! The counters are honed Carrara marble with a 2′ mitered edge.

September 4, 2016 at 11:03 am Reply
  • stephanie s

Heather can you tell me about the lights over the sink as well as the pendant ones over the island? I love both. Many thanks!

September 5, 2016 at 11:27 am Reply

Sure, the 4 lights over the sink are Restoration Hardware and the pendant is Ballard Design.

September 8, 2016 at 5:39 pm Reply
  • TAC

Cute, cute dog… and lucky!

September 21, 2016 at 12:28 pm Reply
  • Lena

Hello
    Can you share the source of the ceiling light? (Partially shown, black frame over the counter top)

Thanks,

September 27, 2016 at 5:54 pm Reply
  • Annie @ Em & Wit Design

Your kitchen is my inspiration for my next house. Everything is absolutely perfect and spot on for my taste! Liberty is adorable. My Old English sheepdog loves fruits and veg too. Cauliflower in particular. Strange pups! I’m new around your site and plan to spend a good amount of time catching up because your work is gorgeous! Purely inspiring. I found an antique library table with two drawers, brass caps on the legs, soon to have casters (do you have a favorite caster for a kitchen island?) and I intend to paint the base black. Unfortunately, the top appears to have been replaced with an awful looking veneer job, so I am on the hunt for butcher block. I spotted your island on Pinterest and would love to know what kind of wood your butcher block top is and what oil/wax you put on it. Thank you!

October 14, 2016 at 9:57 am Reply
  • Jenny Raulli

HI! Would you mind telling me where your wooden shelves on each side of the stove are from

March 2, 2017 at 8:35 pm Reply

My husband made the shelves and brackets. He’s supremely helpful in that way! 😉

March 3, 2017 at 7:16 am Reply
  • January

Love love love the kitchen. Is the subway tile also marble?

April 5, 2017 at 7:32 am Reply

Yes, it’s polished 4×12 marble. 🙂

April 5, 2017 at 8:24 am Reply
      • January

stunning! thanks

April 5, 2017 at 10:31 am Reply
  • Pam

I love your posts and photos – so serene. Can you tell me what kind of treatment you did to your concrete floors? Polish? Stain? Epoxy?
    Thank you!