Valdirose | Florence, Italy

Heather Bullard | Valdirose

After our stay in Venice came to an end, we traveled by high speed train to Florence. I had been dreaming about visiting Valdirose for what seemed like the longest time and was thrilled we had the chance to spend a few days at the incredibly charming bed and breakfast. If you follow Irene or Paolo on Instagram, everything you see is just what to expect. Their breakfast sunroom is straight out of a movie set, evoking warm fuzzies and instant “I want to live here forever” feelings.

Heather Bullard | Valdirose

The natural light that streams through the glass ceiling and windows floods every square inch of the room. Each morning when you come down for breakfast you are greeted with freshly baked cakes or pastries, yogurt topped with homemade preserves, granola or cereal, fresh juice and authentic cappuccinos, espresso or lattes.

Heather Bullard | Valdirose

As a prop stylist, I found her dish collection enviable. Aren’t they so pretty stacked up in the blue cabinet? And I love that they’re used daily for guests and family.

The outside grounds are just as gorgeous with pea gravel lined pathways and old stone steps flanked with rosemary leading you to the small grove of olive trees.

Heather Bullard | Valdirose

It’s easy to see how captivating the entire place is but to be honest, the most memorable part of our stay was the kindness of the family. We were greeted with warm cups of coffee and conversation of stories about traveling, family, and creative endeavors. It was wonderful to learn about the history of the home (Irene grew up here) and how they transformed it by adding the sunroom and turning it into an inn for guests. They use the home for family gatherings during the holidays and it’s where Irene creates delicious recipes (and stunning photos) for her books.

Heather Bullard | Valdirose

Something I always find fascinating are the connections you make with people half way across the world. The commonalities you share as humans. My husband and Paolo were so much alike -both Italian, love to build and repurpose things, bring home old “junk” to fix or make new, talk endlessly about construction, make a great cup of coffee, why they even unknowingly dressed alike every single day. We joked that they could easily be brothers. Those are the memories you take with you and tuck in your heart so you’ll never forget.

Heather Bullard | Valdirose

On the morning we were leaving, I came down to find a gift from Irene of her charming cookbook. It was so beautifully wrapped that to this day I still have that dried hydrangea. My husband had tucked it away in an antique box he found at the flea market and carried it in his backpack our entire remaining journey. Now when I open her book I’m reminded of both their thoughtfulness.

Heather Bullard | Valdirose

If by chance your travels bring you anywhere near Florence, do yourself the good fortune of staying with the Moretti’s. You will leave refreshed, inspired, and immensely grateful for having had the opportunity that your path brought you to Valdirose.

Valdirose Charming Rooms
Via val di rose, 35
50055 Lastra a Signa
Florence

• Mary (Cottage B at Home ~ Vintage Country Living)

Hi Heather,

I so enjoy seeing your gorgeous travel posts, and it’s especially lovely to be an armchair traveler to Italy having never been there before! Love the olive trees and the dish collection in that wonderful blue cabinet!! So funny about your husbands clicking the way they did, too.

March 24, 2016 at 12:10 pm Reply

So happy you’ve come along! Sometimes armchair traveling is my favorite way to dream, scheme and plan. 😉
      Have a wonderful Easter!

March 24, 2016 at 12:51 pm Reply
  • stadtgarten

This is so beautiful! I follow her blog for years now and I am dreaming of spending some time in Valdirose!
    Thanks a lot for sharing your wonderful impressions.
    Happy Easter and greetings from Germany, Monika

March 24, 2016 at 12:50 pm Reply

Oh, I do hope you get to go Monika! They are such a lovely and warm family and I know your visit will be memorable.
    Wishing you a very Happy Easter as well!

March 24, 2016 at 1:00 pm Reply
  • Robin Mc

Your photos are stunning and such a lovely setting!! Have you ever thought of teaching a photography / styling class? My dream is to travel to Italy and Ireland with camera and family.

March 24, 2016 at 2:19 pm Reply

Thank you, Robin. Valdirose makes for an easy subject…very photogenic!
      I am doing a styling workshop in France this May. Although it’s sold out, I’ve been working on ways to bring them to venues around the US. We’ll see after I get this first one accomplished. 😉

March 24, 2016 at 2:53 pm Reply

PS. Your Ireland/Italian dream sounds like the perfect family holiday! 🙂

March 24, 2016 at 2:54 pm Reply
  • Elizabeth Birns

Just wow. It did feel like a movie set. What a wonderful once in a lifetime experience.

March 24, 2016 at 7:20 pm Reply

Couldn’t agree more. We’ll never forget our stay and dream of returning one day.

March 24, 2016 at 7:56 pm Reply
  • Irene b

Dear heather, it has been a dream to welcome you in my home ! You are one of the first women I used to follow with the blog : after looking at your life/home/work I alway feel the desire to improve myself (and I m not the one 🙂 ) so I thank you for 2 times … A big hug from us
    Irene
    P.s. And your photos are amazing !

March 25, 2016 at 12:51 am Reply

We loved our visit and getting to know your family. Thank you for the warm hospitality and memorable stay at Valdirose. xo

March 25, 2016 at 7:54 am Reply
  • Sue W.

So much gorgeousness! I can’t even…

March 25, 2016 at 3:45 am Reply

I know, right?! Such a magical place!

March 25, 2016 at 7:55 am Reply
  • lissy parker

Looks like you had an amazing time. Thank you for the visit to Italy!
    xo, lissy

March 25, 2016 at 12:59 pm Reply

Thanks for stopping by today! Have a great Easter!

March 25, 2016 at 3:44 pm Reply
  • Doré @ Burlap Luxe

Her site has been on my side bar included in my blogs that inspire for over 2 years and I am always inspired by her photography, and beautiful settings.
    This was a wonderful sharing, and to have such a soulful gifting with her cook book I can see how it blinds the two of you in friendship.

See you soon.
    Xx
    Bisous

Doré

March 31, 2016 at 2:20 am Reply

I agree, they live in such an inspiring place and make it even more magical with their combined talents.

April 1, 2016 at 8:42 am Reply
  • Amanda Marshall

I’ve been waiting for this post! Every photo is gorgeous and a breath of fresh air. We almost stayed there during our past trip to Florence but didn’t make it in the end – hopefully another time soon.

PS. This post makes me envious of all the lucky ladies who will get to take your workshop! I hope you do more and I hope to be able to come to one!

April 1, 2016 at 5:20 am Reply

Ooh, I hope you are able to stay one day. I know you will LOVE every minute of it!
      And yes…would love to have you join us during a workshop! Going to see how things go with this first one in France, then decide how to continue them for others. Promise to share photos and stories of our time in the Dordogne!
      PS. You’re pretty talented already though and have such a beautiful way of capturing your food and family. Not sure you need my “guidance”. 😉 xo

April 1, 2016 at 8:46 am Reply
  • Carol Smithback

Wow! Love everything about it!

April 8, 2016 at 9:58 am Reply
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

What a gorgeous home and you captured it so full of life.

August 11, 2016 at 3:05 am Reply