Our Dish Pantry

Dish Pantry | Heather Bullard-101-2

Originally, we called this the party pantry, as I intended to use it to store all our glasses, large serving pieces, and such for parties. But as my niece and I started unpacking, we decided it should just be the dish pantry. Seems more fitting since it houses most of our everyday items, including quite a bit of our entertaining essentials. I believe I have 60 or 70 dinner plates stacked up and ready to be used at a moments notice.

Dish Pantry | Heather Bullard-103

As you can clearly see, I have a thing for dishes.Β Especially white ones, with the occasional wood and glass thrown in the mix.Β Every time I open the doors it gives me a smile seeing all those pretties lined up. My antique (and more colorful) china is kept in a sideboard along with the silver flatware since they are used less frequently.

Dish Pantry | Heather Bullard-106

If you’re planning a remodel or building from scratch, (and space and budget allow) I highly recommend adding this type of pull-out pantry to your plans. It’s been great to have one cupboard in the kitchen where all the main dishes go. Not to mention being able to see everything you have and the ability to just pull out the drawer tray for easy reach.

Dish Pantry | Heather Bullard-105-2

When space planning the kitchen, I considered the scale of the pantry in proportion to the Sub Zero and I think the two work well together. Neither overpowers the others size. And having the pantry on the end of the wall makes it convenient if there are multiple cooks in the kitchen. No one is bumping into each other getting things out or putting them away.

Dish Pantry | Heather Bullard-110

I know when I was designing the kitchen, the only non-negotiable was a glass door refrigerator and I did a lot of research on them trying to decide which would be the best option. Would any of you like a post on the refrigerator? I’m not sure how much kitchen detail everyone is interested in.

In other news…the last item needing to be done in the kitchen was to have The Man fabricate the island…which is happening now! I can’t wait until it’s finished and we can mark ‘kitchen’ off our list. And trust me, marking things off our list is one of the greatest joys of building a house yourself.

Between posts you can find me on Instagram (heatherbullard) sharing highlights of daily life.

Comments

1. Oh my gosh, I am so envious!

2. Liz Piccione-Volger says:

Yes, show us EVERYTHING about your new kitchen and the whole house. I was driving to Big Bear this weekend and wondering where your new house is that would be close to Riverside and near orange groves!!

3. I wish I had a pantry like yours! My house is 100+ year old farm house and storage is NOT abundant! Maybe someday!

• Heather Bullard says:

Oh, but to live in a 100 year old home with all that history…dreamy! They have so much character and charm. πŸ™‚

4. Oh gosh, I want that!

I’d love to see more of your kitchen redesign! I’m a renter so I must live vicariously through others.

• Heather Bullard says:

I hear ya! That’s what blogs are all about…I live through some as well. πŸ™‚ It’s nice to gather inspiration no matter what our living situation is. There are usually ideas we can take away to fit our needs.

5. I want every detail!! I love the fridge and the pantry and the shelving and…..

Could you also share your source for your favorite white dishes?

Taking notes….
      Thanks for the input! Will get to work on it. πŸ˜‰

• I hate to seem needy, but would love to know what makes Ironstone Ironstone and not just white dishes.. thanks! πŸ™‚

6. All those white dishes look scrumptious in your pantry!
    Those pull outs must be very strong to function with so much weight!
    We currently have an IKEA pantry with pull out wire shelves, + I’m trying to decide if I want one again for our project’s kitchen.
    Seriously, only the front 12″ or so gets used.
    Anything behind that just doesn’t seem to see the light of day!
    In response to your wondering if we want more kitchen . . . speaking for myself . . . WE WANT!

• Heather Bullard says:

Thanks! I put Ikea cabinets in my studio kitchen (with the wire pull out drawers) and can note that with them being lower cabinets, things aren’t as easily accessible as they are with this tall custom one we have in the main kitchen. There is a big difference in usability. Those large stacks of plates are used every single day, even with them being in the very back of the shelf.

Will start working on more kitchen posts…thanks so much visiting today! πŸ™‚

• Hi Heather,
        I am simply in love with this custom tall cabinet with the pullout drawers. I am planning to do something similar in my kitchen. Is this unit truly custom made or would a tall cabinet from Ikea with wire pull out drawers work the same way? If not, where did you have it made?

Thanks!

7. Absolutely lovely kitchen so far! I can’t wait to see the rest.
    I love the idea of a dishes pantry! I hate using 4 or 5 little cupboards for everything. Having everything in one place would make me so happy.
    I really want to hear more about your fridge. What are all those other drawers for? And do you feel self-conscious if your fridge starts to look messy inside? I think I would. Or maybe it would force me to get rid of left overs faster! πŸ™‚

• Heather Bullard says:

Having a central location for all the dishes has made things simpler for sure!
      Really great thoughts/questions on the fridge…some I considered when deciding. Will do a future post and touch on those topics. Thanks so much for your input! πŸ™‚

8. Your dish pantry is just amazing!! I have a small one right across from my dishwasher and I love having the dishes altogether, wishing it were bigger these days. BUT 70 plates at a moments notice. I would need much longer to plan for that many! πŸ™‚ This really is beautiful to be able to having serving pieces together too. Really awesome.
    Katey

9. Heather,
    I love the apparent ease of pulling out and grabbing what you need. This is really a great idea. How has it been as far as keeping things in their place? And what about the ‘fridge? Is it hard to keep the part that’s clear organized?

• Heather Bullard says:

That’s the beauty of it!! Everyone sees exactly where things go and is just where they put them!
      I’ll work on a fridge post soon with answers to everyone’s questions. Thanks for dropping by today!

10. From one lover of dishes to another….this is “flat out gorgeous”. I just smile looking at the pictures and I haven’t even pulled out a drawer.:) Enjoy!!!

11. Love your dish pantry and your home. We live in Riverside County too.
    I have a thing for dinnerware also and are having a home built on 10 acres in Kentucky (which should be ready early October) and having lived here in California all my
    life it will be a big change for us.
    The house plans had a large formal dining room, which we really
    didn’t need as we added a large sunroom off the kitchen where we
    will using as our dining room, so I made that formal dining room into a
    butlers pantry with lots of cupboards, sink, wall oven & a large island
    to use for baking.
    Thank you for sharing your new home build….so exciting!

• Heather Bullard says:

Oh, goodness. What a dream! I can only imagine how beautiful it would be to live on 10 acres in Kentucky.
      Wishing you the best with your build and move…I’m sure you will settle in nicely. Your place sounds amazing!

12. OMG Heather!! Beautiful just doesn’t touch how incredible your kitchen is. I would love all the details on everything including your gorgeous fridge!!! MORE PLEASE.

13. This looks like a glimpse of heaven to me! And that fridge?! That’s my dream fridge.

14. Your kitchen is literally a dream. I sigh every time you post a pic of it on IG and its so fun to see more! So incredibly beautiful!!!

• Heather Bullard says:

Thank you, Tiffany! Appreciate you stopping by the blog and following my shenanigans on IG!

15. Beautiful! Love your blog…..taking good notes for our next build. Would also love to know your fav everyday white dishes…..they stack so well, have a very simple design and must not be overly heavy with that many on one pullout. Love the look!

• Heather Bullard says:

Thanks, Angie! Most of my dishes are from Williams-Sonoma and Ikea. Talk about high/low mixing. πŸ˜‰ There are others from HomeGoods, Marshalls and World Market.

16. I agree with everyone, this cupboard is so great, it’s just such a fantastic, simple and organised idea! Could you also show how you now store and display your more colourful and vintage china? It would be further inspiration for me! Thank you.

17. Can you share what brand/maker of your white dinner plates? I am in the market for white dinner plates and I like that yours don’t have a wide rim. Please, could you please let me know?

18. I was wondering what the poundage each of the pull-outs can handle reasonably without caving. I love your ideas and keeping notes just in case I can talk my man into building another house, only smaller….hate the cleaning part….love the gardening part!

• Heather Bullard says:

I’m really not sure what the load capacity is for the tracks, but it has to be a lot! I believe they’re the kind used in commercial spaces for large appliances.
      And completely with you on the love gardening/hate cleaning. πŸ˜‰

19. Beautiful. Yes please that is my dream refrigerator! I’d love to know how you like it & whatever else you’d love to share.

20. A truly perfect pantry and YES, tell me everything! πŸ™‚

21. My dear friend with a gift for organizing talked me into a dish pantry; I too smile each time the door is opened! We are looking to make a fridge purchase this year and have been looking at commercial refrigeration options. Would greatly appreciate details on your selection!!
    Thanx so very much!!

• Heather Bullard says:

Seems there are others interested in the fridge post…so I’ll get started on it very soon! Thanks for taking time to comment and say hello!

22. What a fabulous idea. So practical. Love the kitchen. I’m having heart flutters over that fridge. Love it! I think you might have my stove too. Would love more posts on the kitchen and would love to see the rest of the house. How about some tablesetting ideas for the holidays.

• Heather Bullard says:

Oh, that’s a great idea! Sometimes I am stumped for post ideas…tablesettings sound like fun. Thanks for the inspiration!

23. yes please post on the refrig. i have always wanted one and am about to do a kitchen redo.

24. Good grief I could use a pantry like that! We built an island in the kitchen to handle many of our pieces, and a good many more are stored in a buffet, but the pull out drawers are beautiful AND brilliant!! Makes me want to build a new house just to include this smart idea! LOL

• Heather Bullard says:

Haha! Hindsight is always 20/20 isn’t it? Even with our new build just complete…there are things we wished we had done, or done differently. Still, very grateful to live in a home we built from scratch.

25. I’m embarking on a complete kitchen remodel and a dish pantry with the pull out shelves like yours in on my list! I have decided on range, I’m going with a Bluestar, but have yet to decide on refrigerator…I love the glass door on the one you chose. I would be interested in reading more on that subject. So many differing opinions on all brands.

26. Any and all details are wonderful….and so helpful…because I’m in the mist of building!
    Happy Day

27. Mama Mia, Yes!!! Show us all the details. What made you decide on specifics, wish list, where you had to cut corners, etc. This is a fun journey..

28. Checking things off the list totally resonates with me! We were able to check all the lighting off our list! Still waiting to complete our island also, and can’t wait to see yours. Building a house from scratch is very rewarding and a true test to patience… especially if you move in before it’s done πŸ™‚ Enjoying following you along on your build!

Cindy

29. Yes, I would LOVE to know about that refrigerator! I’m interested in that type of appliance for my kitchen.

30. LOVE your kitchen and this pantry is dreamy! DO you also have a food pantry? Or did you forgo that for the dish pantry? Just curious as to where you keep your dry goods (pasta, rice, canned goods, flour, sugar, etc).

Thanks!

• Heather Bullard says:

Thanks! Yes, we built a separate walk-in pantry for food items. I’ll post about it as soon as we’re finished with a few more details. πŸ™‚

31. We were thinking of installing a good size pantry next to your fridge like you did but couldn’t visualize it until now. Thanks so much for sharing. Out of curiosity, how did you do the cabinets on the other side of the fridge? We’re thinking about using shelving to open up the space but worry about dust since it’s an issue in the area as we are close to a live volcano. Or we’re thinking about having just one column of shelving centered in the wall and flanked by cabinets on either side w/ glass doors. The kitchen doesn’t get a lot of natural lighting and cabinet space is limited. So any suggestions/ideas are welcome!

Thanks again for sharing your beautiful design. CAn’t wait to see the rest of it.

32. I agree that this is the place for dishes. I did the same years ago when the children were young. It made it so easy for them to reach the plates and set the table. No reaching up or having to stand on a stool to get the item you use often! Beautiful design!

33. Lesley Ainsworth says:

Yes! Please do share all about your project..it’s inspiring and I personally would love to learn more about the fridge…always wanted a glass door and really really like this model because it appears to have the best of everything that I’ve dreamed of.

34. Christine Jenkins says:

Hi Heather

would you mind sharing the dimensions of your dish pantry? I am having one built just like yours for my new house in the UK.

Shelf spacing would be good too if you have the time. Best wishes Christine

35. Where did you get the fridge? What brand and model is it?

36. hello Heather: I just found your dish pantry at Pinterest – love it! I would like to know the brand and model of your refrigerator if possible.
    Michelle (from Costa Rica)

37. love this! did you have the pull out drawers custom made? could you say what kind/brand did you use for the pull out hardware?

thanks!

38. Aline Rodrigues says:

Hello! I find your kitchen so bright and beautiful! Love the white walls and the marble! Could you share what paint you used for them?

39. I would like to know bout the fridge. I love the dish cabinet. I was building a pantry similar but now thinking should use it for all the dishes.

40. Hi Heather

I am in the process of trying to design a pantry and absolutely love your dish pantry.

Did you have it entirely custom made or were the pull outs pre made from a kitchen shop?

Thanks