Grove House Progress

grovehouseprogress-101

Well, there has been so much happening with Grove House. Keeping up with the day to day details of construction has proven to be challenging, exciting, frustrating, rewarding, and a little bit exhausting. Here’s a recap of what we’ve accomplished thus far. The framing took much longer than expected, and we are happy to have moved on from that phase…

There are 70ft long covered porches on both the front and back of the house, and as you can see, we kept several rows of orange trees just steps from the porch. Can’t wait to add a few black rocking chairs and benches when we’re moved in!

grovehouseprogress-104

The house is single story, but with the addition of 5 dormers, it has the appearance of a two story home. We had our electrician wire lighting on the inside of each dormer, and all will be set to a timer, so each evening they’ll provide a nice glow. Black shutters will be added to each exterior window as well.

grovehouseprogress-103

In the photo above, you can see my “challenge” area. The main breakers and control panels had to face the street for metering, so I’ll have to cleverly disguise them with small trees and shrubs. Hopefully, they won’t be too noticeable once we’re finished painting them to match the house. They’re on the side entrance and not really in view of the main front door, which helps.

From there, we moved on to the interior and finshed all the rough-in for electrical, plumbing, fire sprinklers, heating and air conditioning, and the surround sound system. And continued with the roof and siding on the exterior…

grovehouseprogress-107

This is the back porch that connects to my studio. We chose 12″ smooth cement siding to give the house a clean, modern line and had the porch eaves and ceilings boxed in with cement boards. We’re in a high fire zone (as is, nearly all of California) and could not have any exposed wood on the entire house.

grovehouseprogress-105

The 4 1/2 car garages will have two carriage style doors installed and simple, black modern barn lights above each. For the roof, we chose the Bel Air Charcoal Slate Tile and absolutely love the finished look of it.

Below is the back of the house where the master bedroom and bath suite are located, and the amazing painters working away.

grovehouseprogress-109

And in this porch photo, you can see the ceiling and eaves are boxed in, creating a clean line.
Some of you may remember my inspiration for the porches that I shared with you here.

grovehouseprogress-108

And here’s a few peeks at the interior progress…

grovehouseprogress-111

I designed a custom vanity for the master bathroom that is being made out of salvaged wood. Can’t wait to show it to you, along with a few other details in the works! The door to the right is the walk-in closet.

grovehouseprogress-112

This is the great room and the hallway to the left leads to my studio. I love the enormous picture windows that will have a view to the gardens. The vaulted ceiling will have a reclaimed wood beam. We had the challenge of fire sprinkler heads needing to be right in the center of the room, thus the caps covering the sprinkler heads will be custom painted to match the beam.

grovehouseprogress-113

And the kitchen is at the other end of the great room. The window is deceiving in the photo..it’s actually 12 feet long! The sink will be below the window. The facing wall will have the range and the left wall will have the refrigerator. I’ll work on a full kitchen post as we progress!
Between the two rooms, there is also a large set of french doors, creating plenty of light and garden views.

grovehouseprogress-114

And lastly, here’s one side of my studio. I think it may end up being my favorite room. It has a TON of light. Another reclaimed wood beam will be going on the 17ft vaulted ceiling. And the hall to the left leads to the studio bathroom. On the other side of the studio will be the kitchenette and entrance.

grovehouseprogress-110

And from here, we continue on….
Please let me know if you have any questions and I’ll answer them in the comments.
Thanks for sticking with me on this epic post. I promise to keep future updates on a shorter note.

Between posts you can find me on Instagram (heatherbullard) sharing the little things in life.

Comments

1. Beautiful!! May I be jealous in a good – nice way? We are still waiting to break ground on our house. I am so excited .. but all of my excitement is on paper and in my head! Thank you for posting the pictures. – Julie

• Heather Bullard says:

How exciting for you!! Enjoy the journey…with all it’s highs and lows. It will be worth it in the end! Best of luck!

2. It looks absolutely dreamy! I can’t wait to see the finished home… as I bet you can’t wait either!

3. Wow…this is looking great!! You’ve made a lot of progress!! I know it is going to be gorgeous…and that roof is fabulous!! Can’t wait to see it all come together!
    Becky

• Heather Bullard says:

Thanks so much, Becky! We’re excited to see it looking more like our home. Appreciate your kind encouragement!

4. Victoria Lynn says:

I am so happy for you, Heather! It looks like a great floor plan and of course I can’t wait to see the interiors and your beautiful decorating! Are “the girls” going to have a special space in the yard?
    Victoria

5. Heather! I love every detail! So glad you shared! Xoxo

6. H~!!!!! I love it all and I am so happy for you guys! Next time I am down south I will have to come by and check out your new place. Much love, Kimberly

7. You must be so excited! It’s looking gorgeous! Enjoy the process. Can’t wait to see it!

8. It’s going to be so beautiful! And just think you can walk out your front door and pick oranges for breakfast. AND THE SMELL! It’s going to be glorious. I’m having vintage wood beams installed as a Pergola as I type. They have paint splatters, and notches and all! Thanks for the update.

• Heather Bullard says:

You’re project sounds like it’s going to be beautiful. You’ll have to share when you’re finished!

9. Heather,
    Is it a two story house? I love the dormers but weren’t sure if they were an architectural element and to let extra light into the rooms they are above.

• Heather Bullard says:

It’s a single story. The dormers are cosmetic but there is attic space. We’ve had our electrician wire them for lighting so they’ll be pretty at night!

10. Wow! It’s looking great Heather, I’m so excited for you and can’t wait to see more as everything progresses :)

11. Beautiful, Heather.

So nice to browse the update. I love that you seem to have your vision so well defined. It’s going to be so much fun to decorate, isn’t it?

I was expecting to see some of the lovely orange trees scattered about to get a sense for where they are in relation to the house. Maybe next time.

It’s coming along and nice to keep us all posted.

Enjoy your day,

Lisa

Have a nice day.

12. Heather Bullard says:

Hi Lisa,
    The decorating will be the highlight for me and of course, ongoing. I’ve enjoyed using some antique and reclaimed wood elements within the design and am looking forward to moving in!
    The orange trees surround the house. It’s hard to get an overall photo because the house is so long. It’s sort of an L shaped ranch/farmhouse and difficult to get everything in my lens…even my widest one at that!
    Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words about our progress. :)

13. WOW…I’m greatly anticipating the finished project…should be over the top gorgeous I’m sure! Congratulations:)

14. Beautiful!
    Love your porches & those pillars.
    Wondering what exterior white paint color you choose?

Thanks!

• Heather Bullard says:

Thank you, Amber. The exterior and interior are custom colors. Basically, we chose the whitest, white and our painter added an additional 40% more white pigment to the paint. This is for better coverage and a true white.

The Man and I refer to it as….White White with 40% More White. lol ;)

15. Heather it is coming along beautifully! I love all the porches, beams and windows! I think I would be lost starting from scratch & all the ideas swirling around my head but you always pick exactly what I love….Can NOT wait to see more.

PS- the scaffolding boards idea, genius. Great patina & wear…seriously love.

• Heather Bullard says:

Ah, thanks Ada! I’ve got more posts coming up soon. We’ve been making great progress.
      And I can’t take credit for the scaffolding idea….I was truly inspired by Brooke Giannetti!

16. I love this update on your Grove House. I am a new blog reader and just love reading about your home. I hope we will be seeing lots of future updates (and I for one like them long!).

• Heather Bullard says:

Welcome, Kaitlyn! So glad you’re enjoying our Grove House updates…more on the way! Appreciate you taking the time to say Hello! :)

17. Christine says:

Everything looks so fabulous! I so enjoy sharing in the process with you! Question, what type of floors will the porches have? Cement, flagstone, bluestone? We are planning a single story house with a front porch as well and this decision is keeping me awake at night! Lol

18. Tami Renno says:

So wonderful to see all the beautiful things you’ve been up to. Your home looks like it will be so lovely, the photos walking us through your journey are so inspirational, can’t wait to see the on going progress. Thank you for sharing it.

19. Mary Jane says:

Heather, looks wonderful! I had a question about the roofing. We are just getting ready to re-roof our home this month and have not purchased the roofing yet. I like the wrap over detail on the gable ends of your home…..could you link me to that roofing or give me some help with the name. Thanks so much for any help you can give:)